Having a keen eye for detail and creating websites with an effective and appealing design is what everyone expects from successful web designers. They have to be consistent in their endeavour to achieve sustainable website designs and for this, they use some common traits present in some of the most successful website designs that can be lent to every portal. Let us take a look at some of these traits to get a better perspective.
Entwining SEO Principles into its Design
If you think that a wonderful design alone determines the success of a website, then you haven’t been paying attention. A successful website not only appeals to the visitors but also ranks well in the search results. This is what generates more footfalls and therefore, enhances the conversion ratio. This is where you need to implement certain SEO principles in the web design. You can have best of both worlds by taking the following steps:
- Make sure that the most important content on your website is in HTML text format because more often than not, images and other non-text elements on a web page are skipped by web crawlers.
- Web crawlers are also known to crawl links and search for relevant content. So, give web crawlers easy access to your website navigation. This will get your web pages listed in the search engines’ index. Including an XML sitemap is a great step when you want to get your website indexed.
- Keywords are the building blocks of search process. Although SEO has come a long way ever since the use and targeting of keywords to improve web page rankings, using them is still a mainstay of various search engines’ ranking algorithms. Therefore, focus on keywords while creating web pages and include organically in the text, meta, title etc.
Incorporating High-Quality and Unique Content
“Content precedes design. Design in the absence of content is not design, its decoration.” – Jeffrey Zeldman.
This quote sums up the importance of content on a website and rightly so. Think of a website with all the ‘bells and whistles’ but poor quality of content. Even though such a website will attract visitors, do you think they are likely to stay on the site for a longer duration and take a call to action? We all know the answer.
High quality and unique content not only retains visitors in the long run, but also adds to the credibility of the website, which ultimately rubs off on the brand or the business. This explains why web content is getting a lot of emphasis nowadays. You also need to work upon presenting the content in a unique manner to engage, entertain and keep the target audience engrossed.
Some of the unique ways to present content on your website include but are not limited to:
- Beautiful illustrations – Unique, aesthetically pleasing illustrations help target audience connect with the website. It is refreshing for them to find something new on the site other than the usual text, banners and graphics. Also, many websites use illustrations (often hand-drawn) for storytelling purposes, which helps them engage visitors easily and effortlessly.
- Infographics – Infographics are the new graphs on the block. Create infographics relevant to your niche on your website as these are easy to read and can be customised in numerous ways. They are helpful in presenting information in an interesting manner, especially on minimalist websites.
- Interactive storytelling – Another way of presenting content uniquely on your website is Interactive Storytelling. It is a powerful approach, which can work more effectively than many visual elements put together on a web page since visitors always have the mindset moving forward with storytelling and unfolding more information instead of browsing the site.
- Large Videos – Have you come across websites, which have large images as their backgrounds? Well, a twist in the tale comes in the form of large videos in the background. Often, these videos provide a dynamic experience to the visitors, many of whom find it more convenient to view a video rather than to skim through lines of text on a website.
Use of Colors and creating Consistency
When you create color palettes to be used for your website, make sure that you test all the color combinations for contrast. This is essential to maintain readability for the visitors. You also need to check the color palette for ‘body text contrast’ so that your fonts do not get merged with the background. Pastel colors are in trend and so is bold colors and color blocking. It is up to you to select a palette, which is in-sync with the image of your brand or business.
Also, many a times, using the color of the logo on your website on the web pages is one of the ways to remind your target audience about your brand and business. It offers a color consistency, which makes them feel ‘at home’ when they visit your website and also gives it a more professional appearance. Apart from using the exact colors from your logo, experiment by varying the tone and the hue of the colors and using some other colors that complement and you will end up with astonishing results.
Alternatively, you can settle for a solid color background on your website if you want to go minimal and get a more polished appearance. It also helps visitors focus on the content and elements in the foreground, especially the CTA (call to action) buttons and maintain consistency on all the web pages.
Capability to integrate with Social Media
Social media integration is a fundamental of website design. Given the prowess of various social media platforms, your website design have to be in-sync with social media. There are many ways to integrate social media on your website.
First things first, place social media buttons/widgets on your web pages in such a way that they are easily visible to the target audience. This makes it easy for them to take a call to action such as clicking on the social media button or widget to share content such as product information or product demo with people in their network. Similarly, keep social media follow icons in the header or the footer area of the website, preferably on each and every page so that your visitors can click them and stay connected with you on their social media platforms.
Also, you can allow visitors to login via their social media accounts instead of creating a new account or registering upfront. This will surely earn you some brownie points from them, especially the first time visitors who are often sceptical about registering on a new website they just discovered.
Another option is to embed content from your social media accounts on the website. For instance, if you have a website that sells bakery goods, you can embed recipe videos, large images, create interesting infographic, snippets of interesting facts and make all these content sharable.
These points will help you create unique website design, which helps you stand out from the crowd and achieve sustainable website success. In addition to these, make sure that your design is flexible to accommodate future changes. Have anything to add on the topic? Let us know your opinion via your comments.
Author Bio: Michael Georgiou, a dynamic business professional and entrepreneurial guru associated with Imaginovation – Charlotte Web Design Company proven his success in creative strategy, online branding, project management, and communication projects in both the public and private sectors.